Thursday, March 1, 2012

Reading Levels

Recently my husband asked me about the reading level of some of the books that we read to Melodi.    She LOVES reading and would spend all day bringing us books to read to her if we let her.  I had no clue what the reading level was of any of our books as it is not posted on the back of them as I remember it being when I was growing up (okay, late(?) elementary when I knew where to look).

The Dr. Seuss books were taken care of once I saw this on Pinterest, talk about great timing since we had just talked about it.  Leann of Montessori Tidbits had just posted this list on her blog.  She breaks it out Late Kindergarten, Beginning/Middle/Late First Grade, and Early/Middle Second Grade, based on her interpretation of the Accelerated Reader grade level equivalent.

We also have a large collection of the Little Golden Books so I did a Google search for "little golden books reading level" and found this.  It is not exactly what I was looking for but I should be able to convert it to a list like Leann's easy enough.

In my search I also found the 1000 Good Books List by the Classical Christian Education Support Loop.  This list is broken into grade levels of 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, and 10-12.  It's a large list and I haven't spent enough time exploring it to give a fair assessment, although I will be returning to it in order to find more books to add to our library.

Here we go with a list of the Little Golden Books reading levels.

Baby-PreK

  • The Poky Little Puppy
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Little Mommy
  • The Little Red Hen
  • A Day at the Seashore
  • Pinocchio
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • The Shy Little Kitten
  • Triceratops for Lunch
  • The Saggy Baggy Elephant
  • Nurse Nancy
  • Good Night, Little Bear
  • Noah's Ark
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • Richard Scarry's Busiest Firefighters Ever
  • Old MacDonald Had a Farm
  • A Blessing from Above
  • The Color Kittens
  • The Bunny Book
  • Thomas and Friends: May the Best Engine Win
  • The Little Christmas Elf

Not done yet.  Thinking this is going to be more work that I really want to take on.  The list that I am looking at on JacketFlap is not really what I want as it includes non-Little Golden Books making it difficult to sift through at times.  There are also 1,176 books in the Baby-PreK level, and in the Ages 4-8 level there are 2,884.  So, this plan is going out the window.  Another reason to throw this one out is that I'm not sure I totally agree with some of levels given to the books on the Baby-PreK list that I've gone through so far.  There are far too many words in "The Poky Little Puppy," "Sleeping Beauty" and "Saggy Baggy Elephant" for it to be considered Baby and I don't think that a 3-4 year old would be reading them on her own.

Back to the drawing board for this project.  I may use the same technique that Montessori Tidbits did and just do it myself using the Accelerated Reader grade level equivalent and the books that I have.  Look for more on this in the future, it may end up being a page instead of a post so that I can add to it as we accumulate more books.

No comments:

Post a Comment